I originally intended to get this post up yesterday but things got in the way. So, better late than never, as they say!
If you’ve read any of my recent blog posts you’ll no doubt have noticed that I have spoken about consistency quite a lot. There is a reason for that – it’s because it’s IMPORTANT!
Yesterday I received a great comment on this post from Terry Henry. Actually, I have just checked and it was actually two days ago!! I was sure it was yesterday! So, in fact, this post is two days late! (Or maybe three, technically, if I end up not getting this published until after midnight!) Sorry about that 🙁 Anyhoo, whilst I was reading and responding to Terry’s comment the idea for this post came to me.
Just to go back to the subject of consistency again, are you consistent? If you’re successful in your business then yes, it’s likely that you are. But if you’re unsuccessful or even lazy then yes, you too are likely consistent. How so?
Well you can be consistent in different ways. If you want your business to grow and be profitable then it’s vital that you’re consistent in taking action. I’ve often heard a lot of the marketers that I look up to encourage their students to take “massive action” and there is a reason that they give this advice. It’s because consistent, decisive action pays dividends. Even if you make mistakes, you can learn from them and keep going.
But it’s equally possible to be consistent with the wrong things. For example, you can be consistent in jumping from ‘shiny object’ to ‘shiny object’. Or perhaps you’re consistent in procrastinating. Maybe you’re consistent in doing nothing!
So you see, although it’s important to be consistent you need to be consistent with the right things and the biggest aspect of this is taking ACTION.
So I thought that I’d throw a few pointers out there that will hopefully be helpful with this. I’m going to list five things, which is by no means an exhaustive list and it doesn’t mean that it’s the list of top pointers. It’s just a few tips that I think are important and, at the bottom of the post, I’d love for you to leave a comment as to what five things (or however many you feel) you would list.
So here we go…
- 1) Have a clear goal. You must have something to aim for, a point for everything that you’re doing. After all, if you don’t know why you’re doing something then why are you doing it? Having a goal to work towards gives you focus and helps you to feel motivated to take that action. Write your goal(s) down!
- 2) Have a plan. Once you have a goal then you need a plan of action. So think about how you intend to reach you goal and, again, get it written down. It doesn’t matter if your plan turns out to not be quite right. It can be adjusted as you go along and oftentimes, as we learn, it will be adjusted many times. But having some sort of plan will again help you to have focus and will give you things upon which to take action.
- 3) Have a proven system. If you’re a beginner then it’s likely that you don’t have much experience or you’re lacking some vital knowledge. Getting yourself a proven system to follow is a huge help, perhaps getting yourself a mentor too. But you need to be careful when choosing a system. There are many ‘systems’ for sale out there but be careful of the hype. Make sure you choose one that has real testimonials from real people who can show their real results from following it. Hence, a proven system.
- 4) Join a community. I read recently that Internet marketing can sometimes be a lonely profession. Well it needn’t be. There are plenty of helpful, active communities online that are filled with people all with different abilities and experience levels who can help you when you need it. Sometimes you need help, especially if you don’t yet have the skill or experience in a certain area. Don’t be a martyr!
- 5) Have the desire. This is linked with point number one really, but is an important point on its own. Having a goal is good, but you need to make sure that your goal is the right one. Sure, you want your business to make money, but why do you want to make money? What’s the ultimate purpose, the ultimate goal? Once you have established what that is then you will really have the desire to strive ahead and reach it.
So there are my five tips. You could summarise them this way: Goal, Plan, System, Community, Desire – GPSCD.
We’re on an Internet marketing journey together, right? Well imagine that you’re in your car, heading towards your goal. What can contribute to a more pleasant and successful journey? Well you can follow your GPS (Goal, Plan and System) that will help you to reach your destination, whilst listening to your CD (Community and Desire) that will make the journey more pleasant! 😉
I hope that you enjoyed this post. What tips would you give that you think help to take action? Please leave them in the comments section below 🙂